Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 2

Day started out well, as I was filling up at the holiday station the local sheriff pulled up in his SUV and admired the bike. :) Since I had buried the Montana Map in the topcase I couldn't remember the route I wanted to take to get up to Highway 2. He suggested take 200S out of Glendive and the hit 13 at Circle, MT and head north to the town of Wolf Point at Hiway 2. It was a fairly scenic trip up to hiway 2 especially for Eastern Montana. On the way, I had my first close call with a couple of deer at about 8:30am along 13. They stayed in the ditch and turned and ran back into the field. Made my heart pound because I was moving a pretty good clip. Nice that Montana has 70mph speed limits on most of their roads and I far exceeded that most of the way through the state.

Near Wolf Point I stopped to take pictures of a neat old bridge.




At Wolf Point I stopped for gas and breakfast.

As you all know Mr. Pib + Red Vines= Crazy Delicious. Didn't have the Pib so had to settle for the Dr.


Ran into some dinosaurs along the highway...



The strangest thing that happened to me was at a gas station. It had 3 pumps all in a row. When I pulled in there was a car at the first pump so I pulled in behind at the middle pump and filled up. I was adjusting the things in my tank bag and putting on some sun screen when I heard a truck engine behind me. I thought nothing about it because there was an empty pump behind me. Heck at that time I had the only pump taken. Well a couple of minutes later the Lady in the truck calls out..."can you move your bike?" Hugh? WTF? isn't there 5 other pumps you can use especially the last one your parked at right now? Why do you need the only one that has a vehicle parked in front of it...they all have the same gas. Well I move my bike up a bit and she pulled up and used the pump that I was at. Can't understand what that was all about.

aproaching Glacier


I camped at the KOA at St. Mary's which is at the east entrance to Glacier National park.
I ran into a couple of other bikers camped a couple of sites down. Ron was on an BMW 1100RS and Ed was on an Aprillia Furtura. They let me tag along to dinner and for a little ride afterwards.






The bikes and their drivers




The Camp site and with critter sightings.



Tomorrow will post on the Going-to-the-sun-road journey. What a ride that was....also have video of the ride that I'll try and get posted after I get home and edited.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I noticed the froggie in the pictures - nice! I also liked the dinosaurs a lot. I'm glad you are getting to see such beautiful country and are having fun. Drive safe and I love you.

Marilyn

wendy said...

Hey Jeff what you need is a Harley!!!

Hi from Sacred Heart.
Drive safely.

Ride hard or stay home!!
Wendy