Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 5

Sorry it's taken so long to continue the blog but I ran out of wireless at the campgrounds or the places I did stay that had it I didn't have time to write in the blog.

Day five started out with me driving to downtown Seattle early to hop a Ferry over the Bremerton and start my journey south from there. I really didn't need to take a ferry, I just wanted to. It did give me the best views of downtown Seattle and of the area. Unfortunatly I just missed the ferry and had to wait for the next one.....

(click on the pictures to expand them.....they aren't totally fitting in the blog.)









I started heading south out of Bremerton Washington. In one of the small towns I ran across a car wash. It was a nice little break. Now with a clean motorcycle I was off. I wanted to get a ways into Oregon but was already behind schedule because of the missed ferry and the extra time getting my bike washed. i took highway 101 south into Oregon.

To get into Oregon there is about a mile long bridge at Astoria Oregon.


I made the mistake of trying to cross this thing midday of the Sunday after the Fouth of July. Everyone was crossing back from the holiday weekend was on the bridge for about an hour. Once across I stopped and had a bowl of chowder and tried to find out where I wanted to go. All I knew was I wanted to see the Oregon coast and camp as close to it as possible. I picked out a few camping options from the AAA books I had and set off not really knowing where I'd end up.

I got about 30 miles down the road and my check oil symbol came on. This is a finicky thing and does sometimes come on even when I can see oil half way up the sightglass. I needed gas anyways so I pulled into a station. This is when I ran into Oregons archaic gas laws. They are required to pump your gas for you..no self serv....What a PITA. I was low on oil so of course the little oil cap removal tool is under the back seat so I had to remove all my strapped on crap to get at it. I added a bit of oil and was off down the coast.

I stopped at the first scenic overlook I came too. Parked next to this couple enjoying the scenery and a PBR.....









Continured on down the coast and saw a sign for "The 3 Capes Scenic Drive" and deceided to follow the signs.  It brought me to a road that followed the coast and when wasn't along the coast was canopied over with trees.  A brilliant road for sure.  






There was a state park campground on this scenic drive so I pulled in and got a site for the night. It was a great place to camp. The sites were in an old growth forest but just steps from the beach. I slept like a baby hearing the waves roll onto the beach all night.








I ate dinner that night in the quaint little town of Oceanside.  Nice meal overlooking the beach.

No comments: