Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 4

My internal clock is still on Central time so I am waking up about 5:00am local. It is nice to be able to get on the road each day between 6-6:30. Makes for nice relaxing evenings because I have travelled most of my miles early in the morning. I hit hiway 2 again with a loose destination of Seattle. While making good time I saw the sign for the Grand Coulee Dam so I just had to see it. It was about 25 miles north of hiway 2 and I sped up there. Quit an impressive structure and they say it is the largest concrete structure in north america.




I had the option of heading north to take the northern route across Washington which I was told is the most scenic but I chose instead to head back to Hiway 2. I am glad I did. The Canyon run along a resevoir was incredable. Shear rock towering above me on my left and a deep water resevior on my right with lonnnngggg high speed sweepers.  I love the way this bike handles :)

This highway is such a nice way to see the country because of the diversity along the way.  In Eastern WA it was straight but with nice rolling hills.  Wheat fields and grazing pastures on each side of the road.  At the western end it abruptly drops from about 2700feet to 700 feet in a great canyon run.  It brings you into the columbia valley where you see all kinds fo fruit trees especially cherrys and apples.  

I had to stop in the town of leavonworth because there is a leavonworth Minnesota.  Leavonworth MN is where my paternal grandparents are buried along with at least one uncle.  It is a real tourist trap but is really pretty.  Its made to look like a bavarian town and does a good job of mimicking the architecture.
Also of note just south of Leavonworth Minnesota there is a park that used to be the farmsite of my greatuncle. Here is a pic








On through the Cascades which were beautiful. Lots of elevation changes. I stopped at a little roadside shop and talked with some new found friends....



I hit a bit of rain through the mountains but nothing severe. Just a good steady rain. I cruised through Seattle and tried to find a cheap hotel but none were to be found. Even the Fleabags were all about $80. I found a KOA in Kent and camped for the night. It was more of a RV park but they had about 10 camping sites. Unfortunatly while there I lost my Wedding band. By the time I noticed it it was dark and it was not to be found. That was a fun phone call to make to Marilyn.... :(

1 comment:

wendy said...

Sounds great!!! Drive carefully.

Hi from Sacred Heart!!

Wendy